Sunday, July 22, 2007

Variety Day

Thursday July 19th

Today is Variety day for me, here in Week 1 of my newly started RKC program. If you had asked me last night about today's workout, I would have hinted at maybe taking the day off. I was wiped last night from my Moderate Swings workout and fantasized about doing nothing for the next two days until Saturday rolled around. But when morning came, the weakness weakened and the strength and motivation returned. Although I admit my body WAS asking that I take it somewhat easy for this workout. And as one who has learned from various injuries over the years, it is best to listen to your body when it has something important to say.

Now there is a difference between listening to your body and listening to your mind. The night before it was my mind talking, saying "You're tired, you need rest, you should take it easy." With some sleep under my belt the mind quieted and it allowed my to hear my body for what it truly had to say.

So anyway, enough of these voices in my head... Today's Variety day consisted of the following:

Warmup
2SW 16kg 20

Variety
TGU 16kg L/R 5/5, 5/5, 5/5 (these felt pretty good except that after the last set I did feel like I had a slight strain in the upper right side of my back. since I've started doing these (only a handful of times now) after every workout I feel a slight strain here or there. nothing that stays for long and nothing serious, I guess I'm just hitting weak points in my body that were never addressed before. Last time I felt it in my obliques, today the upper back just outside the scapula area.)

Windmills 16kg L/R 3/3, 3/3, 3/3
(first time doing these! wow, they were tough. first set through I only went as low as getting my free hand over my knee. I was trying to stay very strict on form because the last thing I want is an injury. second set through I was able to comfortably sink a bit deeper. and third set was able to sink down to ankle level. not too bad.)

Hanging Leg Raises 1, 1, 1
(just did three singles today again keeping good form)

Pullups bodyweight 5, 5, 5

Dips bodyweight 5, 5

Burpees 5

I threw in some Burpees at the end of the workout just for the heck of it. Only 5 reps. I'll be building up on these as I'd like them to become more of a staple in my 'exercise arsenal'.

And then I went on to STRETCH!! Everything felt good leaving the gym except for that one spot on my back. I'll keep stretching it out and see how it feels. Will provide update.

That was it for today. Tomorrow if my OFF day!! Week 1 - SUCCESS!

No comments: