Saturday, July 14, 2007

Training Catchup & New Program!!

It's been a while since I last updated my training blog here. Things seem to have exploded at work so there's not much time to get my update in during the day. And working late doesn't help either. By the time I get home, eat something, play with the baby and decompress, it's time to hit the sack. Not that this is at all a bad thing, just not much slack time. I have been able to maintain a regular training schedule on my lunch hours.

About two weeks ago I completed my "Lean Routine". After 10 weeks, I was successful at shedding 8 lbs. Cutting back on about 3500 calories each week and performing mostly whole body exercises while keeping my heart rate elevated successfully allowed me to lose about one pound each week, my initial goal.

Funny thing is, even though the Lean Routine officially came to an end two weeks ago, I have continued to lose another two pounds. Starting out at 174 lbs, I am now down to 164. And as of late, without really trying. To my credit, I have not resorted to immediately stuffing my face with anything that passes by. I have gotten use to eating smaller portions to some extent and feel more comfortable being on the hungry side as opposed to feeling stuffed. At the same time, I still feel just as strong as before and really don't feel like I'm any lighter, also a good thing.

So where does that leave me now? I had initially thought that once the Lean Routine was over I would go back to a heavy, strength cycle. I actually did start that up again, but am feeling myself being pulled into another direction at the moment.

As of today, I will be starting a 12-week RKC/Naked Warrior program. This will be comprised of a 5-day per week program, 3 days of Presses and Swings/Snatches, 2 variety days and intermixed with it I'll be working pullups, pistols, one arm pushups and some ab work. No other traditional weightlifting exercises. With the warm summer weather upon us, this seems to be a more natural cycle to work on. When this is over, we'll be in the midst of autumn at which time a heavy lifting program may seem more appropriate. But we'll have to wait till then to fully assess my direction. For now, it's all about the kettlebells.

Later on today I will perform my HEAVY day of presses and swings. Just this week, my 24 kg bell arrived via UPS. Perfect timing!!

So stay tuned and my first update following today's workout. Since I don't anticipate things at work slowing down anytime soon, I probably won't be posting daily, but will try to post a multi-day update at least once or twice each week. I am excited about this!! I have become so obsessed with these kettlebells its unreal. In a good way!!

No comments: