Monday, February 2, 2009

More 4 Minute Sets

Here we go again...

Is anyone getting bored reading about my sessions yet? =)

I'm now working my 4-minute sets. Today I took 2 minute rest breaks in between each. My back injury is rearing its ugly head again, so after today's session I made sure I not only performed some of the compensatory movements but also used a tennis ball to work some of the trigger points not only on my quadratus lumborum (QL) but also some tender spots on each of my hips. Funny, that I found some tender trigger points on my each of my hips but they are in slightly different spots. Nonetheless, they were tender!

So today's session looked like this...

Press: 16kg - 4 minutes @ 12 rpm

Push Press: 16kg - 4 minutes @ 16 rpm

1-Arm Jerk: 16kg - 4 minutes @ 16 rpm

I worked up a good sweat with these. Upon ending my last set I checked my heart rate and I was up at 175 bpm. One minute later I checked again and I was down to 143 bpm. By Marty Gallagher's standards that kind of drop is indicative of a well conditioned athlete!

I have been a big fan of Marty's for a number of years now. It was actually an article written by Marty that introduced me to kettlebells! Marty use to have a weekly fitness column with the Washington Post. He then started his own website and forum and has recently begun writing for Dragon Door. You can find him at http://marty.dragondoor.com/

I have yet to buy his new book, but it won't be long before it gets delivered to my door. Marty is a no-nonsense kind of guy. He tells you straight up what works and what doesn't. And he's the first to tell you that if you want to get fit and change your body, it's going to take HARD WORK! There are no magic pills. But at the same time, greatness is achievable as long as you train intelligently and understand the effects of your diet have on your performance and body composition. Go Marty!

1 comment:

hunashaman said...

Wow, good work. That is some impressive results on the heart rate. I actually read an article last week by Marty mentioning the importance of monitoring your heart rate when training. Clearly you are not in the danger zone buddy!