Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Return to the Kettlebells!

The MRI images have been reviewed. The radiologist's report has been read. Follow-up x-rays have been taken. The mystery of my back pain is finally solved!

Unfortunately for me, there is no cure to ease my back pain. Turns out I have a symmetric 'defect' on my L5 vertebrae. Effectively, I have tiny fractures on each side of the vertebrae which is causing some awkward movement in the sacroiliac joint, which in turn is causing the discomfort that I have been experiencing.

I have apparently had this defect for a long time. And it's not going to heal, since the spine is always in a state of movement, otherwise it would have already. Therefore, I am going to have to learn to live with some pain.

I can't worsen these fractures. Therefore I am free to return to as much activity as I can tolerate. I should avoid twisting movements as much as possible as they will strain the joint more than not.

So this is my fate. What's next? Return to the Kettlebells.

No comments: