Wednesday, May 6, 2009

High Altitude Training

Well, that's at least what I'm equating working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to - high altitude training.

What a difference early morning workouts are to working out later in the day. I really have to summon up more inner strength to get through these workouts. I was tempted to put the bells down early today, but I did not. I worked through, as tough and grueling as it was. And you know what, I'm glad I pushed through it! =)

Today I returned to the 20kg bells. One thing I need to re-teach myself is patience. These bells are a lifetime pursuit. No need to rush through things. I am going to continue with the 20kg's until I am at Rank II level. Only then will I move up. (What's wrong with me? I know better.)

So here's this morning's session...

Jerk: 2 x 20kg - 5 minutes @ 6 rpm

Snatch: 20kg - 6 minutes - 46L/46R (16rpm first two min, 14rpm third min, then switch, repeat)

I'm really starting to appreciate the yin/yang relationship between these two lifts. First of course is the double bell/single bell relationship. And then there's the linear/circular aspect of the lift trajectories. But there is also the contrasting movement dynamics. The Jerk, for most part, appears to be a static lift where time can be spent relatively motionless, while the Snatch is pretty much non-stop movement. And each of these taps into a different kind of energy utilization. "Resting" in the rack position reminds me of horse stance training in martial arts. Anyone watching would think there was not much going on. But if you were in that horse stance, you knew how hard you were working! This might be a good topic for the future. But for now, that's it. Until tomorrow! (And I'm thinking Long Cycle for tomorrow!)

2 comments:

hunashaman said...

Oh boy! Ma Bu (horse stance). You are bringing back some serious memories here. Perhaps GS is indeed a martial art. Good work buddy.

Franklin said...

I just watched the video .. it absolutely rocks!!!