Thursday, March 4, 2010

Giddy Up

Personal revelation: If I want to get good at performing long, timed sets of kettlebell lefts, then I need to practice long, timed sets of kettlebell lifts.

This might not be true for everyone, but it is for me. After a few months of experimentation, I learned a few things:
(1) My body has a hard time recovering from high volume work
(2) My back has a hard time recovering from high volume work
(3) I can perform multiple sets of a lift for a high number of total reps, but that does not translate well for me to performing one long, high rep set

I will admit maybe I have not given the "volume" approach enough time to "sink in". But I have been experimenting with it for the last few months and I can honestly say that in that time, I am not happy with the results. Like I said, others my have achieved better results with this method. But I have not. With that, I will be devoted the majority of my training once again to longer, timed sets.

So here was today's session...

Jerk: 2 x 20kg - 4 minutes @ 8 rpm

Snatch: 20kg - 4 minutes @ 14 rpm

Swing: 28kg - 5/5/5/5

Jump Rope: 3 min on / 1 min off / 2 min on / 2 min off / 3 min on / 1 min off / 2 min on

Cooled down with some light stretching. That's it for today. My short term goal is to get back to where I was in October. Hit some rank numbers and then move up to the 24kg bells once and for all!

3 comments:

kens kettlebell blog said...

Howie:
long timed sets are like sex; the longer the better the outcome.

Anyway, getting back to my large KB inventory, I want to get rid of the ones I don't use, like the 8-24kg. non comp. bells. I got them cheap when "Kettlebell concepts" when into business and changed from Kg. to LBs. MY SWAT trained son-in-law will be taking my cast offs as he has been imprinted for Kettlebell life.

I will keep my 36-44kg hardstyle pairs for now until I get funds for AKC bells.
I hope to get down to the Cert training next week at the Capt's new gym.
ken wilson

Howie B said...

Hey Ken, definitely keep those bigger bells. I am thinking of starting to pick up some of the bigger bells soon.

I'll keep my eyes open for you next weekend!

hunashaman said...

I agree Howie. I guess it all boils down to the SAID principle. Whatever you do a lot of you will get better at. I also did not find any transfer from volume work to timed sets...nothing, zero, etc. I think the fitness industry today is too full of BS. If we want results in something we need to do that...something. You cannot run a marathon, for example, if all you do is training in 100 meter sprints. Unless of course you are some kind of mutant.