Monday, November 12, 2007

Monday's Snatches

I always look forward to my Monday workouts. On Monday's I do my Snatches. Rest of the week is focused on Swings. Last week I introduced the 24kg into my Snatch routine for the first time. Reading Aaron Friday's blog recently has gotten me inspired to 'get strong' with my lifts including my Snatches. I guess part of what has been holding me back is my fear of injuring my shoulders. But since starting with these kettlebells I have seen great improvement in them as well as my chronically messed up neck. So today I decided to push myself just a little bit to see how things felt. But first let's start at the beginning...

Warmup....

2-Hand Swings/Halos/Figure 8's to Hold
16kg - 50 swings; 5/5; 8/8
24kg - 20 swings; 5/5; 5/5

Then onto the 'real' workout...

1-Arm Overhead Squats
8kg - 5/5
16kg - 5/5, 5/5

These felt better today than last week. Not sure if my form is perfect. At times I feel my elbow unlocking, not sure how close to my head my vertical arm should be, is it ok if my head is angled a bit to accommodate my arm next to it?? So many questions.

Windmills
16kg - 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

These are feeling pretty good. Getting both palms flat on the floor at bottom position.

Finally on to my Snatches....

Snatches
16kg - 5/5
24kg - 10/10
5/5
16kg - 15/15

Went easy first set with the 16kg to start greasing the groove. Then pushed myself to finish off the 10 and 10. My body felt like an electric current was running through it when I was done. This was tough!! Particularly when I switched hands the felt the wet, sweaty handle. Sure makes you want to hold on tight (which I know I don't want to overdo). Was going to end it right there but thought it best to add some more volume. Finally finishing off with the 16kg again, was focusing initially on form, then just wanted to get through all 30.

Good workout today! I'm lovin' it!

3 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Awesome work with the 24kg. If you can do 10, you can do 20. Don't be afraid to push the poundages or the reps as long as it feels OK.

Nice workout.

Howie B said...

Thanks man. Don't know about that 20 just yet. Maybe within the next month. I was WIPED yesterday following that workout. I really had to throw my whole body into those snatches. It's amazing how light the 16kg feels now.

Aaron Friday said...

Well, maybe not tomorrow, LOL! It's just a lot easier to add reps than weight with many exercises. Once you've got 10, 20 is not too far behind.