Friday, November 9, 2007

No Presses Friday

Right bicep is still pretty sore, so today I thought I'd incorporate a few other exercises to replace the Clean & Presses while still giving the shoulders some work.

Warmed up with the usual...

16kg: 2-Hand Swings 30x, Halos 5/5, 8s to Hold: 6/6
24kg: 2-Hand Swings 20x, Halos 5/5, 8s to Hold (with 16kg): 8/8

Then proceeded to perform the following 3-exercise superset...

1-Leg Deadlift w/ 24kg: 5/5, 5/5, 5/5
1-Arm Overhead Squat w/ 8kg: 5/5, 5/5, 5/5
Windmill w/16kg: 5/5, 5/5, 5/5

I first attempted the Overhead Squat with the 16kg and immediately felt my should fall forward on the first rep, so decided to lighten up on my first day. No problem thereafter, actually these were pretty easy. But I have to remember, I was performing them for the benefit of my shoulders, not as a squat workout.

Then moved on to Swings...

1-Handed Swings w/ 24kg:
15/15
10/10
15/15
12/12
10/1o

I'm starting to get glimpses of weightlessness of the kettlebell with these. Must mean I am properly recruiting whole body into the movement. Nice feeling. I am SO looking forward to having the weekend off (except for maybe some Greasing the Groove on my one-arm pushups). =)

Enjoy the weekend!!

4 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

It's pretty cool to feel the weighlessness of the KB. Indeed your KB technique is getting honed..........and will continue to get better and better and better!

I've been using KB's since 2002, and I look back on when I started using them and say "WOW." I'm surprise I didn't kill myself. It takes years to really master the swing and other basic exercises...we'll all be getting better as we practive more and more and learn more about how to move our bodies!

fawn said...

Nice job on the over head squats... a lift most avoid. Welcome to the OHS Club!

Howie B said...

Absolutely Franz, I'm now also starting to get that same 'comfortable' feeling when I snatch the 16kg. 24kg is another story, but all in due time.

Howie B said...

Thanks Fawn. Did some more today. Maybe you can give me some tips? Bunch of things I'm not sure about on today's posting.