Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Swings with Gymboss Timer

Happy New Year everyone! I decided to start off the new year by kicking my workouts up a notch. I realize that I have a long way to go in terms of conditioning so today I introduced the Gymboss Interval Timer into my Swing sets. Wow, what a difference!

But first, let's start at the top...

2-Hand Swings: 16kg - 30, 24kg - 10, 32kg - 10

Turkish Getups: 16kg - 5/5

Clean & Press: 16kg - 1/2/3 x 2 (2 Ladders of 3 Rungs each)

Pistols: 8kg - 1/2/3 (1 Ladder of 3 Rungs)

And finally...

1-Hand Swings: 24kg
Set Gymboss to 30 sec on/30 sec off: (L/R)
10/6
7/10
10/7
Reset Gymboss to 30 sec on/60 sec off: (L/R)
6/10
10/7
7/10
8/8
8/8
8/8

As you can see, it took a little while before I realized that I should be doing sets of 8 here. That was a good tempo for today. Following the first three sets, I couldn't catch my breath, so I decided to lengthen my rest period. This felt better! I was able to crank out another 6 sets. On the last set I could feel my lower back starting to tighten up, so decided to end it there.

Finished off with a bit of Z - elbows, shoulders and neck.

What a difference using the Gymboss. Up until now, I would perform a set rest until I felt ready and go again. Using the intervals really makes you concentrate and push yourself past your comfort zone. This is a good thing. I was probably going too easy on myself and resting too long before now. Making this a regular in my workouts should really help catapult me to the next level of fitness.

7 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

lol, timed intervals suck don't they? I hate those but they definitely make your wind and lung capacity better. Once a week is all I can tolerate though.
I find that if I do too short a rest interval it really cuts down on the power and intensity of the work sets so I do it only on my max vo2 day were thats the focus.

Howie B said...

Exactly what I plan to do Rif. Once a week for now. On Friday, I'll swing the 32kg for reps/sets to build up some strength. And of course, Monday's will be devoted to Snatch work.

Lauren Brooks said...

That gym boss is awesome. Keeps you on point with not slacking. Looks like a great way to start off the year. You definitely get an A for consistency! I wish I could say the same.

Aaron Friday said...

LMAO dude!

"10/6
7/10
10/7"

Nice, consistent sets, my friend!
Welcome to the GymBoss.

I'm just kidding you. That was a hardcore session, and you seemed to find your rhythm near the end. Doing anything heavy on the clock is brutal, and I'm looking forward to your gains.

Howie B said...

Lauren thanks. Believe me, it's not always easy getting my butt out of bed while it's still cold and dark outside. Luckily, my little guy sleeps through the night on a pretty regular basis, otherwise I can't imagine how erratic my sessions might be. (What'll I do if we decide to have another baby!?!?)

Howie B said...

Aaron, glad you enjoyed my workout as much as I did!! =)

At first I thought I'd be able to work one arm for 30 sec straight. Quickly realized that wasn't going to work so switched hands. Then I wanted to make sure I worked both sides same. Wasn't until later on I realized that I had a pretty regular pace and should probably even the sets out.

I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens...

pazstyle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.