Sunday, February 17, 2008

How Do You Visualize Your Training?

Rif had a great post the other day about training one's will. http://rifsblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/train-will.html Part of that is visualizing your training sessions. Not just when you get your butt to your "place of workout" but beforehand. Hours before, days before. It is so true. When you're seeing results and feeling results, you start to look forward to your next session. Thinking about what you are going to accomplish.


At the same time, consistency is sooooo important. And for most ordinary people, this is probably the most difficult issue, for a variety of reasons. For me, I started out wanting to simply get in 3 sessions each week. Regardless of how much or how little I did, I just wanted to be able to check that day off. To help me, I use a calendar like the one below. I hang it up so that I can see very easily how often I have been getting my sessions in. On this calendar I don't get too detailed. I write down the exercise I performed and the size kettlebell used. For more detail I keep a training journal that I write in during my sessions.


The pic here, although not as clear as I'd like, since I write in pencil, shows what I accomplished in the month of January.




If you click on the pic and examine it up close, you'll see I got in 16 workouts during the month. That averages to about one every two days. Not too bad! My goal is to increase that gradually over the course of this year. How does two workouts every three days sound? I admit it's been a tough winter for me. I've pretty much had a cold and a cough since the beginning of January, and still have traces of it lingering. I am really looking forward to the Spring.
So anyway, that's one of my training 'secrets'.
For the month of February, I added a workout to today's box. Simple, but effective.
Turkish Getups: 16kg - 6/6
1-Hand Swings: 24kg - 5/5 on the Minute for 20 minutes (for a total of 200 swings)
I was very happy with today's swing session. 200 swings with the 24kg equates to about 10,560 lbs in total. In terms of volume in one session, I believe this is a PR. Excellent! And I have to say that it was VERY do-able for me. It didn't kill me as I might have thought, but I suppose all my prior training is showing dividends. Another Excellent!!
Yesterday, I watched a bit of the Z-Health DVD to give myself a bit of a refresher course. Made it about half way through, then did a bit but not enough worth posting. Also did a few handstands as well.
Tomorrow is President's Day and that means for me, it's a day off from work. Hurray! More training tomorrow and another update. Later!

7 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Nice workout and nice PR. You're keeping track of PRs, right?

Franklin said...

Superb workout! 200 swings with 24kg in 20 minutes is completely non-trivial (I wish I had gold star to put on your calendar entry for today!). That's a real measurable milestone in terms of both strength and endurance. Condradulations!

Indeed, Rif's article on training one's will was very powerful and inspiring. It has made me think a lot about not just the training of the will necessary for successful a workout program but also how I need to apply will-training to further improve my productivity at my day job and enrich all my relationships ... it will be life long learning process.

Taikei Matsushita said...

I 29 days per month of kettlebell training for couple months. Then I had to move out from apartment, late night job and other issues got me sick in the end.

18 to 21 days would be sufficient.

Unknown said...

Handstands? I have been doing these as well lately...love them!

Nice post and oh so true about being consistent in your training. Consistency is the KEY piece of the puzzle for success!

Unknown said...

BTW...nice swing workout man!

Howie B said...

Franklin, thank you. You were the one that inspired me to see how 20 min with the 24kg would go. You should post your sessions online as well. Would be nice to have another kb'er to read about.

Howie B said...

Aaron, not keeping too close track. Everything gets written down in my training log. Maybe I should start posting.

Taikei, I've been sick for about a month and a half now. I'm finally starting to feel myself. This has been a brutal winter for me. First one with a two-year old son running around with a runny nose too.

Thanks Franz. Handstands, just a little at a time. Wrists need to get used to them. Anything at this point to help stretch out the forearm flexors. And thanks!