Wednesday, February 6, 2008

OUCH!

I think I must have pissed someone off in a prior life and now I am being forced to pay for it. OK, maybe I pissed off a few people in this life also. But I thought karma was much more retroactive?? Anyway, I ended up pulling a muscle in my upper back, right at the base of my neck, which ended my 5th (and planned last) set of snatches. This is the same muscle that I pulled a few months back. That time was due to over zealousness, today not so sure.

Anyway, this is what transpired up until the pull...

Warmed up with Super Joints Select.

2-Hand Swing: 16kg - 20, 24kg - 10

Windmill: 16kg - 3/3, 24kg - 1/1

Snatch: 16kg - 5/5

Snatch: 24kg - 5/5 on the Minute for 4 minutes

I had planned to perform Snatches for 5 minutes, followed by 1-Hand Swings for another 5 minutes. Didn't get to finish... =(

I was planning on seeing a massage therapist anyway. Now at least I can be sure to get my money's worth. (Is it just me, or does nobody else's blogger Spell Check work?)

4 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

I got a real tight shoulder neck area during my preparation for RKC.
Massage was fine but was taking weeks off from my training.

IF, I mean if this does no harm to you, from my experience over head squat stretched out my shoulder well and ended my days with massage therapist. Got this idea from another veteran RKC.
I got a clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxhH029vMk

Rotate your body as you lower your self, and place your hand somewhere between your feet.
If this does no harm, it is a win/win situation. Body needs to be rotated otherwise bell will fall forward (unless you have an extremely soft shoulder).

Howie B said...

Thanks Taikei!

This looks almost like a squat-windmill of sorts. I'll give it a shot. Muscle spasm isn't as bad as I've had in the past. I'll continue to stretch today with some isometrics. Was planning to be off from work tomorrow anyway, so might try to squeeze in a sports massage. Need it for my forearms as well. Just another learning experience I suppose. Actually I did feel a bit off this morning but tried to ignore it. Oh well.

Mark Reifkind said...

sorry dude, beleive me I know your pain. I used to say 'there is only one pain, I just chase it from bodypart to bodypart."
more z and massage.pain free ROM before all else

Howie B said...

thanks Rif. surprisingly, this is spasm is much lesser in degree than my previous bouts. might have something to do with my new kb training. even by the end of last night I was already getting back a lot of range of motion and tightness much less than usual. this is amazingly good and promising!