Friday, February 8, 2008

Two-Handed Swings

I am definitely impressed with how quickly I am recovering from this latest muscle spasm. I have battled with these over the years following my sprained neck and various shoulder separations and impingements. The last one hit me this past October and that took a long time to get over. Although still a bit stiff in the extreme positions, I was able to get in a very good, very basic workout today without any discomfort. I still intend to see a massage therapist, probably tomorrow, to work some of this out.

Today, I wanted to keep it simple...

Two-Hand Swings: 16kg - 30, 24kg - 20

Turkish Getups: 16kg - 5/5

Two-Handed Swings: 32kg - 10 reps for 9 sets

That was it. I was gunning for 10 sets with the 32kg, but following the 9th, I got a funny little feeling around my ribs. As I am learning, to "train and not strain" I decided to end it right there. Although 10 is such a nice, round number... Self control is difficult sometimes (most of the time?).

On another note, performing these swings with the 32kg really has the effect of making you be strict with your form and forces you to fully recruit all of your muscles. It became evident at one point that I was using too much back and arms and not enough hip and leg drive/snap to move the bell. Even with the 24kg, I'm not sure I'm getting the same feedback. This was a good brush up lesson for me. Something I need to focus on with all my swings.

In between sets I also performed some Super Joints to help loosen things up. Thought it would be best to do these once my muscles were warm, rather than as a warm up. Looks like the weekend will consist of a lot of stretching and rolling.

I did get a foam roller and have started to use it. Maybe a post over the weekend is in order. But for now, that's it. Time to hit the shower. Swing 'em high everyone!

2 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

Looking good man!
Check on your form on TGU constantly, make it close to perfect by the time of certification.

Howie B said...

Thanks Taikei. Always try to keep form good on TGU's. For my own safety!!