Thursday, January 28, 2010

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

It's not as bad as it sounds. Actually, it's not really bad at all.

Lately I have been pushing things forward, working with the 24kg and 28kg bells. Well I started to develop some muscle soreness in my forearms. To give myself the chance to heal and get stronger I decided to drop down for the rest of this week and work with the 16kg bells. Here's today's session....

Jerk: 2 x 16kg - 7 minutes for total of 58 jerks

Snatch: 16kg - 6 minutes for total of 92 snatches

Jump Rope: 2 min on / 1 min off for 5 rounds

I could have pushed for longer sets with these, but that would have defeated the purpose of active rest. I do notice that my muscular endurance has dropped since working with the heavier bells. As such, I think I am going to drop down in bell size for a bit longer and work on my endurance and pace, you know some of the "finer" points of kettlebell lifting.

2 comments:

hunashaman said...

This training thing is such a weird science. No matter what we do it seems to negatively impact on something else. Good on you for constantly tracking where you are at and adjusting accordingly. I think I need to apply some of your "intuition" to my training. Have a good weekend buddy.

Howie B said...

Thanks Johan. I constantly need to step back from things, assess the situation and remind myself of what my main onjective is in all this... good health, strength and longevity. Continuing to push myself through or into potential injuries or overuse conditions is not what I am looking for. And as I've shown myself in the last two days, one can get an amazingly effective workout using a lighter set of bells!