Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Scientific Method

When performing an experiment one needs to keep all variables constant except one in order to fully understand the effect that single variable has on the outcome.  If you change more than one variable at a time, it becomes much more difficult to determine the cause to your effect.

And that is why this morning I performed the same set of Swings that I did on Saturday but substituted Snatches in place of the Jerks that were also performed on Saturday.

Swing:  8kg - 10/10

Snatch:  8kg - 2 minutes (12L/12R)

And because I am trying to be scientific about this (and not overdo it at the same time) that is all I did today.  

There is a little voice in my head telling me, "throw in a set of ab wheels too", "how about a few dips", "come on maybe just one set of pullups"... but no I will be strong and not give in (just yet).  
My back was pretty stiff this morning, as we did a lot of spinal mobilization work last night in therapy.  Amazingly, we started working the area near my T5 vertebrae which has been very tight and it immediately increased my pain-free twisting range of motion.  Now you always hear how things are connected, and conceptually one can understand that, but to actually feel it is simply amazing.   Here we are working on an area in my upper back and it opens open the motion in my hip.  Very cool indeed!!

So this morning, being tight from all this work, I warmed up with Intu-Flow Beginner program and then moved on to my kettlebell "experiment".  If all goes well, meaning I feel no worse for wear tomorrow, then I think I just might throw in one set of ab wheels.  It is so good to be able to start moving again.  Even if they are baby steps.

No comments: