Monday, December 15, 2008

Weekend Fundraiser

This past Saturday. Gold's Gym in Paramus, NJ allowed me to offer three 1-hour kettlebell lifting workshops. Everything we collected is being donated to the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance.

My son Anthony, who will turn 3 at the end of March, was born with Tuberous Sclerosis. Each holiday season since he was born we try to raise money for the Alliance whose goal it is to help fund research for cure as well as help improve the lives of affected families. This year I was able to offer these classes as a way of saying thank you to those generous enough to make donations.

The classes were scheduled one right after another. As I cooled down one session, the next session was on there way in ready to be warmed up. We went over the basics, swing, clean, press, push press, long cycle press/push press, half snatch and snatch.

Between the three sessions we had a total of 23 people attend and in all raised over $600!

For the most part, everyone seemed to enjoy the bells (even when they looked like they were in pain!). If there is a demand for more at that location, I promised to return to continue sharing the fun.

I myself am still recovering from it all. My personal workouts typically only last 30-40 minutes. In this sort of setting, not only was I demonstrating each movement, but also working along with the group as we practiced timed sets with each. Also, being limited in the number of 12kg bells I have, I used the 16kg for the first two sessions and was able to drop down to the 12kg for the last. On a good note, everything has been hurting it seems except for where my back injury was.

Even today my delts are still fried, traps, forearms, abs, obliques, quads, hamstrings, you name it. But it's a good sore. This was definitely a good way to transition back to the 16kg for my own training! That's all that's been happening. Tomorrow, perhaps we test the waters with 16kg Jerks.

I would like to especially thank Art, Mike and Eileen for the great opportunity this weekend. They did a lot to help make this the success that it was. Thank you all!

1 comment:

Take One Stripper Pole said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are an awesome dad. :)