Friday, April 17, 2009

10 Minute Snatch Set

Well, taper week is coming to a close for me. It really hasn't been much of a taper except that I've been playing with the 16kg bells instead of the 20's. My volume might actually have increased this week relative to last. Anyway, I was considering taking today as a rest day, but I'm finding that it is getting more and more difficult to get training in on the weekends. I suppose until the new baby arrives in August, I'm going to be quite busy preparing on the weekends.

So I decided to attack my Snatches fresh today to see how a long set felt. Up until now, I have been training my Jerks first, then a brief rest followed by my Snatch set. And I have been finding that my hands have been fatiguing on my toward the end of each arm's work. Therefore today was something of an experiment to see how I could hold up going in fresh. This is what it looked like...

One Arm Jerk: 16kg - 5L/5R (warmup along with a bit of joint mobility)

Snatch: 16kg - 10 minutes - first 2 minutes each hand @ 16 rpm, next 3 minutes per hand @ 14 rpm - 74 reps per hand - 148 Snatches in total

This went surprisingly well! My breathing never got out of control. And my hands held up extremely well. It's apparent that the fatigue I have been experiencing is a product of the earlier Jerk work. Unfortunately, I don't have much time during my workouts since they are now occurring on my lunch hour, so I'll have to make due.

All in all, a good week and a nice way to head into the weekend!

2 comments:

hunashaman said...

Awesome work sir! Talking about snatching - have you ever tried Kenneth Jay's VO2 max protocol? I know it is hardstyle but I'm considering getting the book and giving it a shot.

Howie B said...

Hey Buddy, no, I haven't tried the VO2 protocol. I'd be interested to understand the science behind it. And also interested to understand how it related to one long, continuous snatch set. I think kettlebell training in general is lacking real research to confirm its benefits to the body (which we already know and feel).

If you pick it up, be sure to send out your review!