Thursday, April 30, 2009

OK, So I Changed My Mind (I'm Allowed To Do That You Know)

Only half way into my new program design and I'm backing out. I had planned to split up my Jerk and Snatch days, which I did on Monday and Tuesday of this week.

And I am happy to say I was able to hit some very good numbers!

But, then I got to thinking and I was only able to hit those numbers because of the way I have been training up until now. And that is training both Jerk and Snatch in the same session.

I was also speaking with a fellow beller the other day who was impressed with my progress. He asked me what my secret was. I didn't have an answer. No secret. Just training the lifts together and training often.

So I'm back to that. I think every so often I will break up the days and strive for a PR, but not on a regular basis. I also felt like it would have been way too long in between sessions, e.g. only Snatching every third day for my comfort.

Enough chatter, here's today's session...

Jerk: 2 x 20kg - 5 minutes @ 6 rpm

Snatch: 20kg - 5 minutes - 37L/37R (just under 15 rpm)

I was very happy with the Jerk set today. Not only did I wet my shirt but I also rubbed a bit of chalk into it. My elbows stayed in place the entire time without slipping! Because of this I was actually, for the first time, able to lock my knees while in the rack position. Wow. This alignment allowed me to really focus on re-training my breathing during these. This is going to take a while to get used to. It doesn't feel natural yet.

Once I started Snatching, my shoulders were pretty fried. I had intended to go 6 minutes, but cut it short. I am going to stop this behavior. From now on, if I plan 6 minutes, I am going to stick it out even if my pace has to dramatically slow.

No assistance work today. That's it and that's enough!

No comments: