Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Too Much, Too Soon

Today, I tried to up my time with the 24kg, from 2 min to 3 min sets. It was ugly.

I was able to keep a good pace on my first set of Jerks, but the following set of Snatches just fell apart.

Here's what it looked like...

Warmed up with Spinal Rocks

Swing: 16kg - 10/10

Jerk: 24kg - 3 minutes @ 15 rpm

Snatch: 24 kg - 2.5 minutes, 20L/11R

And I stopped right there.

I have two options now. I can either continue working with the 2 minutes sets OR I can drop down and use the 20kg bell on these, my 'heavy' days.

Given the new WKC ranking system that was published yesterday, I think I will be dropping down to the 20kg bell and working my way up gradually, correctly and in good form rather than rushing things.

As for the new ranking system, I like it. It encourages people of all levels to get involved in the sport. It also encourages people to work their way up gradually (like me) and it also forces one to be balanced in their training.

That's it for today. I need some rest!

1 comment:

Girevik_X said...

Hey Howie,

I've found that rushing things can lead to disaster as well. There's no shame in dropping the weight to improve the form, which will lead to an improvement in the numbers.

I'm ready to start using my 20s again, but I'm also thinking it might be smarter to get up to level 20 with my 16s before I do that.

Have a great weekend!

Jim