Monday, December 17, 2007

Mon, 12/17 - Snatches!!

Turns out the only type of exercise I performed over the weekend was some snowblowing and shoveling. We got some more snow Saturday into Sunday, so I was outside yesterday clearing it away. I did wake up this morning with my back a bit tight from it. And with today being my Snatch day, my first thoughts were "better warm up well".

Although I am not one who can remember what he dreams about during the night, I do recall that Snatches were a running theme in my dreams last night. I guess it's just the nervous anxiety of Snatch Day. I've been making awesome progress in the last few weeks and I had been hoping to continue to see that this morning.

So here is the result of this past week's work....

2-Hand Swings:
16kg - 30
24kg - 10

Snatches:
16kg - 5/5 for one set
24kg - 5/5 for 10 sets!!

10 sets!! Might not sound like a lot for some, but this is a PR for me. It was only a few weeks ago that I felt like I couldn't even control the 24kg on the downswing for a few reps. Last week I performed 7 sets of 5/5. All week I had planned to get 8 sets under my belt today. But something inside me yesterday said, "you can do 10 sets tomorrow". Maybe that's the reason for the dreaming - my brain planned for 8, while my body was confident on 10. Who knows. Regardless I feel awesome!

Next Monday, I plan to work a straight set in RKC testing fashion to get a baseline for where I am at. Then I am going to taper for a week, only work with the 16kg, before starting up the next cycle. By then, Christmas will be behind us and hopefully (fingers crossed) Santa will have delivered me a 32kg bell.

I am psyched for 2008!!

6 comments:

Taikei Matsushita said...

100 reps total of 24kg snatch is something. From there you can control the rest period, numbers per set (scramble around the numbers a bit). Lots of mathmatics you can use to tune it up.

Franz Snideman said...

Sweet! Nice job on the 10 sets with the 24kg!

2008 will rock!

Aaron Friday said...

Howie, 100 reps with 24kg is substantial. It's a threshold.

Now listen to me, if you can do 5/5, you can do 10/10. If you can do 100, you can do 200. It's just the same weight repeated for a longer period of time.

Take your time and build up gradually. These numbers will come if you just stick with it and bump them up incrementally.

Lauren Brooks said...

Great job Howie! 100 reps are a lot in my book. I will cross my fingers that you get that 32kg bell as well. Then the 24kg will feel like a piece of after snatching the 32kg for awhile.

Lauren Brooks said...

for some reason "cake" didn't show up in my previous comment. 8-)

Howie B said...

Mmmm cake...

Thanks guys and gal. Yes, for some reason 100 is a great psychological threshold. In one sense because I gives me encouragement that I will be able to work toward the RKC number of 54 in one clip. I can think, well I've already done almost double that. But I will continue to keep chipping away and start mixing reps and sets up now. This is just the beginning!