Monday, December 10, 2007

No Dead Lifting

Today I ran over to the Planet Fitness facility near my office. They gym that I had belonged to has been bought out by Planet Fitness and my membership was transferred to their other location. Now I haven't been to the gym in months, since I've been working out with my kettlebells consistently at home in the early mornings. But my monthly membership fee was so small that I hadn't cancelled in case things at work change which would allow me to return to getting a workout in on my lunch hour.

But I finally decided to cut loose. As I stood in the facility, which looked pretty nice, I took note that it was painted nicely, looked clean, with a myriad of weight machines and cardio equipment, but was missing free weights. Then I spotted a small rack containing new looking rubber dumbbells. Next to it was another rack with some fixed plate barbells. And right above both on the wall was a big sign that read "No Dead Lifting".

That made me smile as I cancelled my membership and walked out the door.

2 comments:

Jes said...

I never trust a gym that has more machines than free weights...I'm proud of you! Way to cut the cord....

Aaron Friday said...

NO DEADLIFTING!

You made the right move, my man. Find a place that devotes a room to powerlifters, and you've found a home. You'll have the place to yourself most of the time and, when you don't, you'll be among friends.