Thursday, November 20, 2008

Jerks & Snatches

My back has been in an 'ok' state for a little while now. I have eased up on some of the lateral movements in the Intu-Flow program as well as the Compensatory Movements and it is making a noticeable difference in the positive direction. I appears that my back issue is dependent not just on my spinal twist but also on hip/pelvis movement as well. I think I will be making a purchase shortly - Gray Cook & Brett Jones' Secrets of the Hip & Knee DVD. Maybe there's something in there that might shed some more light on my condition.

Anyway, since I have been playing around with the 12kg bells again this past week, I decided to return to them now as my working weight. I was happily surprised at how well my back handled not only the heavier bell, but also the one-arm work, such as cleans and push presses. I was afraid the unilateral work would aggravate my back but things are feeling as good as they have been for quite a while now. So this is what today's session looked like...

Swing:
12kg - 10/10
16kg - 10/10
20kg - 5/5

Jerk: 2 x 12kg - 4 minutes @ 6 rpm - total of 24 reps

Snatch: 12kg - 6 minutes @ 12 rpm - total of 72 reps

I felt a bit of tightness in my back following the Jerks, but nothing above a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worst pain, 1 being barely noticeable). So now we wait and see! =)

1 comment:

hunashaman said...

Good stuff Howie! Things are looking up buddy. Impressive work on those snatches.