Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Getup & Snatch

Today's session was a bit more limited than I had hoped. Performed the following...

Getups: 24kg - 1/1, 32kg - 1/1

Getting the 32kg up was more difficult this morning than my last attempts. Maybe because it was so early in the morning. But I didn't give up and finally brought up some explosiveness that was needed to raise the bell (and myself).

Snatch:
16kg - 5/5
20kg - 5/5
24kg - 10/10, 5/5/5/5

Stopped here today. Wasn't feeling it this morning. And I've realized that Snatching inside, being rather warm, my hands sweat more, making it difficult to hold onto the bell, which causes me to try to decelerate the bell on the downswing. Just what I am trying not to do!!

So today I will order some chalk for my indoor work. In the meantime, I need to figure out how to get some better ventilation going or just get my butt outside for these. That's it for today!

9 comments:

Franz Snideman said...

Snatch and get ups.....doesn't get any more effective than those exercises.

Are you getting ready for the August RKC at UCLA? and excited?

Howie B said...

Dude, I am getting ready!! After my 40, err..39, snatches this weekend, I will be there in top form! Excited doesn't nearly capture the gamut of feelings this stirs up.

Franklin said...

TGUs are the one lift I must do completely rested or they just don't work. They are so freak'n demanding .. but also so good for you!

Aaron Friday said...

I can't believe you don't have any chalk. Use it with gusto. When I do a long set, I chalk up the handle, and then I chalk up my hands. Gotta have it.

Howie B said...

No, no chalk... AND on top of it, I can't believe I still have my Christmas pic posted in my profile... I AM SUCH A LOSER!!!

Aaron Friday said...

Chalk will make you a winner!

Howie B said...

I got chalk!! Had to go to Eastern Mountain Sports and got climber's chalk. Supposedly the same thing. Any tips on applying to the kb? Do you wet the handle first? Or just apply it dry??

Franklin said...

I just starting using chalk but I'm sure you want to apply it to your handle dry .. you want it to absorb sweat and still act as a dry lubricant.

At the moment I only chalk my hands but I put a lot on. At around my 140th snatch I also had to put a glove on my left hand.

Hopefully others will speak up if I've misdirected you.

Aaron Friday said...

I've see techniques that involve wetting the handle to "cake" the stuff on. Never done it myself.

Most of the time, I just chalk my hands and go. With heavier bells, I do this every set.

For long sets, I apply the brick to the handle first, and then chalk up my hands.