Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pressing Matters

This morning I had some pressing matters to attend to - Clean & Pressing matters, that is.

It's been a while since I've done any regular Pressing, but now that the pain in my forearms is dissipating, I need to get strong on these again. So today, I decided to work on some ladders with the 24kg. And to keep it interesting, I interspersed it with some 1-Handed Swings. You'll see that I mixed things up without any real thought behind them, all driven by how I felt after each working set. So try to keep up...

Clean & Press: 16kg - 5/5
1-Hand Swing: 16kg - 25/25

Clean & Press: 24kg - 1/1, 2/2
1-Hand Swing: 24kg - 10/10
Clean & Press: 24kg - 3/3, 1/1, 2/2
1-Hand Swing: 24kg - 10/10

Clean & Press: 24kg - 3/3
1-Hand Swing: 24kg - 10/10

Clean & Press: 24kg - 1/1, 2/2
1-Hand Swing: 24kg - 10/10

Clean & Press: 24kg - 3/3
1-Hand Swing: 24kg - 10/10


Completed 3 Ladders, 3 Rungs each with the 24kg, with 100 Swings mixed in, not counting the warmup sets. Not too bad. Funny when I started off, my right shoulder felt out of groove. Then somewhere around my second set or so, I held the kb up top and gave the shoulder a good stretch and things all of a sudden felt greased, excellent!

Today is also the last day of April, so I took a pic of my Workout Calendar. Looks like I hit 21 sessions within the 30 days of April. 2 out of every 3 days had some kind of workout session, excellent ratio!! And it also amazing how differently I feel, how my outlook has improved now that I have FINALLY figured out the source of my forearm pain. And with that pain getting less and less as the days go by, my spirits are raised tremendously. I feel like I can fly again!!!

OK, time to hit the shower! Swing 'em high y'all!





8 comments:

Franklin said...

Great accomplishment both for today's C&P and swing circuits as well as all the training sessions through the entire month.

And I also know there are many many more months (actually years) of great training to be had!

Aaron Friday said...

Howie, what is the source of your forearm pain?

Howie B said...

Hey Aaron, welcome back from vaca!

I've finally learned that the forearms have been overtrained for the longest time due to my bad habit of not following through all the way at the bottom of my swings/snatches/cleans. I have been decelerating the bell at the bottom, probably also due to my squat-style swing. So that bell has been traveling more down, than back. I think when I started out with the 16kg, I was strong enough to compensate, but once I started swinging the 24kg, bad form took its toll.

I'm still a somewhat sore, but improved. I imagine it's going to take a while to fully recuperate since it's been about 4 months now. The chalk should help when it comes to snatches. The rest will have to come from diligent analysis of my technique, each and every time, until it becomes second nature.

And it is SOOOO good to be feeling well again!

Howie B said...

Thanks Franklin. And yes, lots of months, years and decades of swinging to come!

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Oh ... I like your calendar. I want one now ... lol.

Howie B said...

Calendar from Staples... $10.
Tracking your kettlebell workouts... Priceless!

Franz Snideman said...

Looking good Howie! You will be ready for the RKC. no doubt! Keep pressings, TGUing and Swinging away and you will get there man!

Great idea with the visible wall calendar to record your training sessions and progression! NICE!

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Ok ... I am a total girl ... got myself a binder, calendar and .... stickers! How is that for priceless ... lol.