Monday, October 29, 2007

Is It Monday Already?

The weekends go fast around here! I can't believe it's already Monday morning. I was still tight from Saturday's workout, particularly in the hamstrings. But they loosened up pretty well with my warmup. When I warm up with 2-Hand Swings, I typically keep the range of motion small since (1) I'd only woken up a few minutes earlier and (2) it allows me to really focus in on the tight muscles of my legs, hips and back.

So today was the restart of my program. For now, I am going to stay similar to the Enter the Kettlebell program, only I've made a few personal changes. Firstly, with the Cleans & Presses, no laddering, just straight sets. And secondly, I'm not going to be performing my Swings/Snatches to time for a while, also going for straight sets. This will allow to pace myself better and start introducing the 24kg kb into my program.

So this is what today's routine looked like:

Warmed up with my routine of 2-Hand Swings followed immediately by Halos with the 8kg, then the 16kg, then the 24kg

5 sets of Clean & Presses supersetted with Bodyweight Pullups:

Clean & Presses -
16kg 5/5, 5/5
24kg 1/1, 1/1, 1/1

Bodyweight Pullups - 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Snatches with 16kg -
10/10 (left/right)
10/10
10/10
10/10
10/10

100 snatches in total for 3520 lbs

Tomorrow I plan to start working on some Z-Health movements. I will be starting out with Lengthening, followed by Shoulders and then Neck. That will be my focus this week. Then I'll add one or two more areas next week (I'll be using the weekends to read up and watch the dvd for incorporating new movements).

I may do a few Turkish GetUps or Windmills tomorrow first. They do seem to be good for my shoulders and I don't want to loose that. But at the same time, I don't want to overdo things again. I guess I'll just have to play it by ear and see how things go. Time to shower!

1 comment:

Aaron Friday said...

Howie, I like the new approach. The Clean&Press ladders are just too much volume for this exercise in my opinion, especially if your selected weight is heavy enough that you fizzle out on the 3rd, 4th or 5th ladder.

I think we can increase volume and intensity in more interesting and less time-consuming ways. As a test of progress, the ladders (as written) seem very good.