Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just Jerks

Well not exactly. I just liked that title.

Yesterday turned out to be a wash. My alarm went off on time, only the volume was turned all the way down so I couldn't hear it. Today, I heard it. Although I wasn't moving too quickly, I did make it up and got in a short, heavier session.

Warmed up with a few 12kg Swings.

1-Arm Jerk: 16kg - 2 minutes (16L/16R)

1-Arm Jerk: 24kg - 3 minutes (18L/18R)

Pistols: 5L/5R

Swing: 24kg - 10L/10R

My back was a bit tight this morning which made the Pistols a bit more difficult than usual. I want to start making these more regular.

The 24kg Jerks were intense. I don't recall last week's too clearly, but I only did 2 minutes at a bit of a quicker pace. That extra minute sure makes an impact, I suppose. And the 24kg Swings feel like crap. I should probably stick with 16kg's for a little longer. Only a month now until Steve Cotter's cert!

8 comments:

hunashaman said...

Nice work on the 24kg Jerks Howie. They really do kick butt especially when going for 6 minutes. Also impressive work on the pistols. I must definitely at some point master them because I cannot even do one at the moment.

hunashaman said...

Oops, I meant when going for 3 minutes on the 24 jerks, not six.

Howie B said...

Thanks Johan. I've been slacking on the pistols as of late, I know I can do better!

hunashaman said...

Not to worry - for me pistols are more like planks because I end up flat as a plank on the floor when I try them. Aren't you the lucky one for getting to attend the CKT in just a month. I've still got to wait until October. Please do post a review (blow by blow) of your experiences once you've been.

Howie B said...

Yes, I'm excited for the CKT. And you can be sure I'll provide the blow by blow account of the weekend. cO (<-- does that look like a kettlebell?)

hunashaman said...

LOL! Yes, albeit one with a slightly skew handle.

charley allen said...

Am I reading 12rpm with the 24kg correctly? That is intense! I need to try them out, and I think I'm ready to start trying assisted pistols again.

Hope you don't mind I plugged your blog in mine.

Howie B said...

Hi Charley. I best go back and clarify my description. I am performing 1-Arm Jerks. So maybe not as intense as you think. Since I'm following the AKC Fitness Protocol, all movements are performed 1-Arm, take for granted and forget that most people are used to doing 2-Arm Jerks. And that's for listing me, I don't mind at all!