Sunday, May 25, 2008

AKC Fitness Certification

Well it is official. This is new first post as a certified AKC Fitness Coach!

I attended the AKC's first Fitness Certification yesterday, held in New York City. As able to meet and train with Head Coach and World Champion, Valery Fedorenko.










Also in attendance were Mike Stefano, who heads up East Coast Kettlebell Club, Ashely Hughes, Master of Sport, Eric Liford, AKC Editor-n-Chief, Kevin Jodrey, AKC Coach and RKC II, along with many others.












The cert began first thing in the morning and wrapped up sometime after 6pm. It was a long day filled with swings, cleans, presses, jerks, snatches and combinations of each. The new Fitness Protocol was introduced to us and the power of using timed sets to reach your goals.

Also in attendance from our little circle of bloggers was Franklin Herman, who also became a certified Fitness Coach.


Here we are, Kevin, myself, Valery and Franklin. Could be the cover of a 'Boys Are Back In Town - Part Deux' huh? =)
Needless to say this was a very educational and motivating experience. Watching Valery pick up and play with a 32kg bell like it was an 8kg, was very humbling. I was surrounded by a lot of talent yesterday and hopefully some of it rubbed off.
I am very excited to experiment with my newly acquired knowledge. We were given both an 8kg and 12kg pro-grade kettlebell to get our coaching going. I will in the short-term be using the 12kg bell to work through some of the Protocol's progressions. I'll also need to get me some heavier pro-grade bells as well.
Most exciting... as of now Kettlebells NY is now open for business!!

5 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Wow! Howie, all of that stuff is just great. Congratulations on your new cert. and your new business. I'm really happy for you.

I'm a bit jealous, too. I'd like to meet you and Franklin in a setting like that. I'll see Franklin next month, but you? Who knows?

Again, congrats, and I'm really happy for you and looking forward to glimpses into the progressions you mentioned.

Take One Stripper Pole said...

Howie - Wow ... Congratulations! Sounds like you had a blast and now you are open for business! Woo Hoo ... Happy Dance!

Howie B said...

Thanks Aaron. It was a VERY cool experience. I am looking forward to more such experiences to come. Any chance you and Fawn might visit NY?

And thanks TOSP, it was a blast and only the beginning!

Franklin said...

Hey Bro, excellent write up! It was a great pleasure sharing the AKC Fitness Cert and I look forward to many others.

And congratulations for the official launch of Kettlebells NY!

Lauren Brooks said...

Congratulations Howie!