Sunday, May 18, 2008

Sunday Afternoon - Presses & Swings

After loading the oven up with a batch of homemade brownies, I decided to get in a kettlebell session.

Hands a bit beaten up from yesterday's Snatches, I decided to return to basics today. This is what it looked like...

Clean & Press:
16kg - 1/2/3/4/5
I performed this ladder straight through, no rest between rungs
24kg - 1/2/3/4/5
This ladder required some rest time in between rungs

1-Hand Swing: 24kg "On the Minute"
5/5 x 5 set
10/10
5/5
5/5
10/10
5/5
5/5
5/5
5/5
Total of 150 Swings. Just throwing in those 2 sets of 10/10 really caused the heart rate and fatigue to set in quickly. A set of 5/5 takes about 20 seconds for me, which gives me plenty of rest (40 sec) before the next set. The 10/10 set is the inverse of that 40 sec work with only 20 sec rest.

Finally finished off with a few sets each of:
Double Overhead Shrugs: 2x12kg
Shoulder Rotator: 12kg

I've gotten away from these timed sets of Swings. I need to make sure I bring and keep these back into the fold. I would like to get at a minimum one day of Swings, one of Snatches and one of LCCJ.

This coming Saturday is the AKC Fitness Cert being held here in NYC. Not sure what to expect following this. I am excited though. Should be cool. I'm sure I'll have some GS practice following this so don't be surprised if what I just said above gets delayed some. =)

Swing 'em high y'all!

2 comments:

Franklin said...

Great session! And agreed .. timed sets are necessary to gauge density progress. When your hands are heeled, give the Max VO2 snatch protocol a whirl .. its a smoker!

Howie B said...

Thanks Franklin. Max VO2? We can discuss on Sat (if we have time!).

But yes, need to start including more timed sets again.