Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Long Cycle Bottom Up Presses

I decided to include Long Cycle Bottom Up Presses into my mix today. Luckily I'm still working with the 12kg bell. But even still, it didn't make much difference for my left side. Then again, I can't really complain since I never train these. And one has to start somewhere, sometime as ugly as it may be.

Here's today's selection of movements:

Press

Snatch

Long Cycle Bottom Up Press

Using the 12kg for all, worked 2 minutes each movement without putting the bell down. Short rests in between. Then worked a second time through each.

My pace was spot on for the Presses and Snatches. Once I hit the BU Presses, it got ugly fast. Since I started on my left side, they pretty much fell apart. Counted only 3 good ones. Right side did much better, banging out 7. Second time through on these, another 3 on the left side. Right side reduced to 5 due to fatigue. But like I said, you gotta start somewhere. Right?

3 comments:

Katie, KettlebellKate said...

Good that you are putting the protocol through the paces to get a feel for the whole package. Bottoms up press w/pro-grade bell makes me cringe. Grab a fatty handle bell and re-do. May not be acceptable but sometimes I line my thumb up on the handle for a sec, then I move it.

Gabi said...

BU presses are no joke! A real measure of form and concentration, you either do a perfect rep or you have a spectacular miss, nothing in between. Another great exercise for me to GTG these days :)

Franklin said...

Also, doing the LC-BUP last didn't make it any easier. I would suggest a small tweak to the drill by making them 1st, then snatch and last press.