Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Taiji in the Morning

Woke up this morning feeling tired with my abs sore so I figured it would automatically be a Z-Health day. Well all the talk as of late of taiji, qigong and animals frolicing about inspired me to get my butt outside and revisit some long forgotten taiji forms.

I call them long forgotten because I have truly forgotten them!!! In all honesty, it has been a few years since I've practiced any of these.

I made it about a third of the way through the Yang-style 24 Form and went, "Hmmmm....".

Not wanting to waste this morning's precious time, I then decided to move on to the 8 Section Brocade qigong movements. Well, luckily I was able to recall 6 of the 8 sections. Hahahaa....

The air was cool and crisp outside this morning. And performing even the little that I could remember felt really good. Nice deep, long breaths opened me up. But I do have some homework now. Not to worry, I have a video (VHS!) of the form that my instructor had put together that I can watch to refresh my memory. The video contains both the 24 Form and the 40 Form.

I have a book which provides the outline of the the 24 Form as we were taught. The one shown here is similar to mine, although my title is "Tai Chi Chuan - 24 & 48 Postures with Martial Applications". I also have some notes somewhere on the 8 Section Brocade.

All good stuff!! And thanks to everyone for inspiring me to get moving with this again.
And a special thanks to Aaron. Because of him, I'll be practicing my forms again soon using my Gymboss Interval Timer.

2 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

Paul has a way of getting to the heart of the matter. Glad you got something out of the article. I was a little disappointed that he didn't give me credit for the GymBoss idea, or the GymBoss itself, but what can you do? The concept was there long before he or I ever even heard of taiji, and he's working it harder than I do.

Check out his other articles at tctaichi.com. He has a way of distilling ideas into a method of practice.

Howie B said...

Thanks for the articles! I'm looking forward to reading them. I've also started refreshing my memory on the 24 Form. About 3/4 of the way through now. Feels good!